This Wetherspoons pub takes its name from the leading 19th century architect Alfred Waterhouse, who designed the grandiose Town Hall opposite.
Manchester’s earliest film shows were held in 1896 in St. James’ Theatre, Oxford Street, and at the old YMCA building on Peter Street. One of the first purpose-built cinemas was the Picture House, which opened in 1911 opposite this pub, on the corner of Chepstow street.
Returning along Mosley Street turn left into Princess Street and then left into Albert Square, home to the Albert Memorial as well as the statues of John Bright, Oliver Heywood, James Fraser, and William Gladstone.
During the 18th century the road was used as a toll road, and over subsequent decades the road has witnessed various transformations, beginning with the horse-drawn tramcar.
Inside the pub you#8217;ll even find the original steam generator, which was used Deansgate Picture House.
Legend has it that when Tim Martin opened his first Wetherspoons in London in 1979, he named it after Mr Wetherspoon – his teacher at primary school in New Zealand.