Many people bitten by infected nasty flying bugs don#8217;t get sick, so when they are doing, it#8217;s often mild, flu-like signs and symptoms. Individuals 50 plus are in finest risk for severe illness, including encephalitis or meningitis.
The positive test is simply north of Wards Corner, and it is the very first time this season a sentinel chicken has examined positive around town of Norfolk. Mosquito surveillance and control efforts happen to be elevated because of the positive lab result.
The Virginia Department of Health recommends the following advice to lessen contact with nasty flying bugs.
NORFOLK, Veterans administration. (WVEC) #8212; The Norfolk Department of Public Health states a sentinel chicken has examined positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).
- Check home windows and door screens to make sure that nasty flying bugs can#8217;t enter your house.
- Put on lengthy, loose and lightweight-colored clothing.
- If at all possible, limit outside exposure between dusk and beginning.
- Use insect repellant using the tiniest number of DEET essential for the amount of time you#8217;re uncovered to nasty flying bugs. Use based on the manufacturer#8217;s directions. DEET shouldn#8217;t be put on infants under 2 several weeks old.
- Start or remove containers on your lawn where water collects, for example old tires, potted plant trays, containers and toys.
- Eliminate standing water on tarps or flat roofs.
- Cleanse birdbaths and wading pools once per week.Thoroughly clean roof gutters and downspout screens.
- To acquire more information on bug control in order to report regions of potential bug breeding, call the Vector Control Division at 757-683-2840, week days from 7:00 a.m. to three:30 p.m.